Monday, June 27, 2011

The Good Boys


The Good Boys
As the NBA finals approached and the Dallas Mavericks began their cardiac therapy for all their fans, I began a chant in my mind, a little prayer.  A voice kept saying in my head “The Good will win, the Good will win!”  They powered back from behind many times and when they made it into the finals, I began to worry (a little) that Miami would be too tough and I didn’t wish any “badness” to happen to Miami, I just felt that the Good Boys deserved to win.  Miami set an uncomfortable tone from the beginning as they built their powerhouse team. But when they celebrated their season before it even began, I thought it was like opening a bad can of sardines. It smelled terrible and started their season with the entire rest of the NBA mad at them.  They were gloating before they had any right to do so, and I know a little of that bad mojo stayed with them to the end. Dallas played their hearts out and earned the championship.  It showed the Heat that you can’t win a championship just by buying some of the best players.
I have been a Mavs fan for thirty years.  Since I was two.. ha ha... so when the final buzzer sounded on that Sunday night I found myself in tears at the realization that they had done it!  They solidly won their place in NBA history.  I can’t imagine that you could find a team with more heart than the Dallas Mavericks.  The real fans have always believed and hoped and dreamed that this day would come. 
In the early 80‘s, my sister worked for the Hyatt Corporation in Dallas and helped do the set up for the meeting where papers were signed and the Mavericks officially became a part of the NBA.  The Mavs offices still have photos of that event on the walls.  At the centerpiece of the ‘signing table’ was a basketball that belonged to my young nieces and had been scooped up by my creative sister from her garage that morning.  The Mavs owners, the Carters, took the ball from the centerpiece as a memento of the occasion and the Mavs office later sent my sister a new ball, signed by the whole team!!
I don’t usually write about sports, but this has been a wild and fun ride. Thank you Dallas Mavericks!  The whole country (with the exception of Miami..) was rooting for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment