Monday, June 6, 2011

The Fabric

I am a fabric junky, but I don't sew. I have a whole bin of swatches, samples and snips that beg me to do something with them and I am not sure I ever will.  I can spend hours looking at fabric and dreaming of sofas, chairs, bedrooms, pillows, curtains..... I would need multiple houses to use all that I see that I love...
I have hauled a few of my pieces out for school projects for the kids and I really did cover my dining room chairs myself, so I am not completely incapable of doing something with fabric as long as it involves a staple gun.  My love of fabric began as a child. My mom is an amazing seamstress. She's made countless items for my three sisters and me.  When I was old enough to shop on my own, I often wandered in fabric shops, fell in love with a piece and had to have Mom make something for me.  I knew I was lucky.  I don't know how she had the time. She worked full time and kept the house neat as a pin, made all desserts from scratch and cooked 99 percent of our meals.   I think that sewing was her escape.  She would be absorbed in a project and looked forward to the evening hours after the dishes were washed and put away and we were all tucked in, so she could tackle the zipper or piece the bodice to the skirt.  I knew early in my life the difference between dotted-swiss and pique, wool from wool gabardine, cotton from polyester.  It is no wonder I obsess about fabrics.  I could use a little more success in the use of fabric.  I took a sewing class once, made a skirt, wore the skirt once and threw it out. It was not a good experience.  I bought a sewing machine about three years ago and it sits in the bottom of my closet, waiting for me.  I will try another class one day, maybe I will turn my fabric fetish into a cool hobby or something.  Maybe there is a sewing camp for sewing class drop outs!! I might need some more fabric...

The colors and textures that I love about fabrics are a lot like the quilt of friends and family I have who constantly support me and care for me. I have had a less than stellar month for lots of reasons (I have MS and for the first time in five years it has been causing me some aggravation), but I have had some great kindness and love poured out on me and I am so grateful for all of it.  The healing and the recovery is impossible without it.  The meds can't do what you do for me.

In gratitude and until I write again, be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment