Friday, July 6, 2012

Musings of this week:  The moonrise on the Fourth was as spectacular as the fireworks! I would have sworn it was the Great Pumpkin... I love to see the flags lining our sweet Main Street and the little citizens with ribbon-covered wagons and bikes, and everyone dressed in red, white and blue.  We are far from perfect, but I am so happy to live here. I thought a lot about when I was little and my dad would drive me to Fair Park in downtown Dallas.  We wouldn't go in the Cotton Bowl stadium where all the crowds were. We would park on a really scary street and watch the fireworks from our old Chevy Impala.  I, of course, would be in the front seat with my window rolled down, marveling at the display and not minding that I was sticking to the seat. The minute the finale started he would fire up the engine and we would take off for home. He just lived through his 91st Fourth of July.

Here is a little something I wrote this week:

Independence

One
Melting pot
Of individuals.
How does that work?

You,
Citizen, can vote
Or not.
Do you feel power?

Me
Has its place,
But US is better.
What is your declaration?

I
Fly a flag
And watch the sky.
Was gunpowder ever so beautiful?

Happy Independence Day,
Kristine

No comments:

Post a Comment