Monday, February 28, 2011

Why have one dress when you could have six?

Long time no post! I have been eaten up with the planning for and going on a fifth grade school trip with my daughter to Washington, DC. I'll do a post about that soon. It was fantastic. Every time I am in DC I think - How can we afford all this majesty for the little taxes that we pay? We have a great Capitol and a great country of which to be proud...more on all that later.

This is a little bit about the Oscar show last night. Our Oscar party included beer, pretzels, pita chips and was in my basement fun room and only my husband and I were invited :-) . When we lived in LA, our downstairs neighbor worked for a PR company that represented a nominee and on the big day, a lovely stretch limo arrived at our front steps and swept my neighbor off to the festivities... I was a little jealous.

I don't really care much about the whole thing. I am usually lucky if I have seen even one of the nominated films for best picture...this year I had seen two of them! Woooo Hoooo! I love it that we record it and start watching about an hour after it's actually begun. We skip through all the boring commercials, speeches, etc. Go girl to Anne Hathaway with her gorgeous display of designer gowns and for doing the twist in the funky beaded/fringed one! The blue one made me think of a shiny cigarette lighter and looked stiff and uncomfortable.....but it's not about the comfort. I am impressed at her ability to walk around in the shoes!! I couldn't beI think it is funny that at the end of the evening I could not tell you if James Franco had any wardrobe changes. I did notice that presenters were made to coordinate/compliment each other almost to the point of wearing the same tux just different ties... The women looked lovely as usual but too many people wore fleshy-blah-toned gowns that washed them all out. They all got the memo that beige/platinum/white-ish colors were "the thing" this year. It didn't work for any of them. The big jewelry designers were all on the same page too... so many people were wearing giant emeralds on their necks, ears and hands. I guess the emerald miners have a "deal" with someone to promote this neglected mineral.

At least no one seemed to have the spray-painted tan this year. I wonder what's happened to Charlize...she must have had a rough year.

Anyway, the only awards I really cared about were best actor and best picture and the only non-Pixar movie I have seen in the last two years WON!!
Without a doubt, The King's Speech was one of the best movies I have seen in years and years. It ranks up there with Shawshank Redemption and To Kill a Mockingbird. If you haven't had a chance to see it, make plans and go! Also, if you missed Toys Story III (the only other movie I saw this year..) I recommend that one too! Just remember to take a hanky. I have not found any woman, man or child that didn't shed tears in this one...

Cheers to you! I hope Spring has sprung where you are...

1 comment:

  1. Russ said:
    I have no comments on the dresses but I think Anne Hathaway is really good...I haven't viewed all of her movies but of those I have chosen to watch she did well..."Havoc" initially grabbed my curiosity, by the time I viewed it I had seen "The Princess Diaries" and "The Devil Wears Prada" and then I backtracked to catch her in a film completely unlike those two..."Havoc" is a bit uneven but caught my interest for being so out of the ordinary...I was also drawn to "Rachel Getting Married" and I thought she was fabulous in that role and the movie in general was so well done...


    I hope to get to see "The King's Speech" based on your recommendation and many, many others...if it's up there "Shawshank Redemption" (parts of that movie I have memorized)and the beautiful "To Kill A Mockingbird" then "Speech" should be awesome, too...

    Other thoughts from the Academy Awards - if you ever get the chance watch "Winter's Bone"...at the end of the movie the story and the characters have accumulated strength in your mind and you can't help but think it is full of power...rarely have I experienced an ongoing storyline that builds my appreciation for it like "Winter's Bone" does over the course of it's viewing...it's star, Jennifer Lawrence, has superb talent

    ReplyDelete